In today’s world, it’s so easy to lose focus on what really matters due to the endless distractions we’re bombarded with on daily basis. Gadgets, social media and mainstream media are the common tools that are directing people’s lives. These resources enable others to communicate their thoughts and opinions on you, drowning out your own inner voice. How would your life change if you reduced the noise around you and instead look deeply inside and find out what matters to you most? How would you emotionally feel if you build the habit of putting yourself first by pursuing your goals and agenda?
You only have one life, in the words of the late Steve Jobs, “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life”. This quotation is profound so I suggest you write it on a piece of paper, and place it where you see it on daily basis.
The first key to living an effective and fulfilled life is to be truthful to yourself. What do you spend your energy on? Who do you speak to on a regular basis? Are the people you speak to moving you towards or away from your goals? How many hours a day do you work towards achieving your goals?
Below I have written practical steps to help you become more productive in all aspects of life. Make a conscious decision to not just read the steps, but to implement them.
Eight ways to help you focus on what really matters:
- Write down your personal goals and create a plan to attain those goals. A person with no clear goals would live aimlessly.
- Set a daily routine. Creating a daily agenda would prevent others from interrupting your life with their agenda.
- Reduce the time you spend on social media. The less active you’re on social media, the more time you have to hearing your own voice.
- Stay away from toxic people who influence your mood in a negative way. Be mindful who you speak to on a regular basis. After all, the bible admonishes us in Proverbs 4:23 “Guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it”.
- Cut out doing activities that you hate, which ultimately can be detrimental to your mental state and your health.
- Do what you love. This is an important tip, being that you do well in what you enjoy doing.
- Don’t be a people pleaser. You always have the permission to say “No”. Don’t feel guilty for exercising your power.
- Build momentum. Once you begin to see the positive results from the tips above, the more empowered you’ll feel to stick to this new and rewarding and lifestyle.
Thanks for reading.